Our campus plan reimagines our own future to create an innovative, flexible and sustainable university but it also re-shapes the heart of the city of Sheffield.
Our plans will provide sector-leading environments for learning, teaching and research, which respond and adapt with agility to changing expectations. They will help us work collaboratively to achieve outstanding outcomes for our students and our staff.
More than this, they will re-shape the core of the city, making a difference for our community and our region. In short, our plans will support us in our mission to transform lives.
Over the last decade we’ve invested £200m to create some of the best teaching, learning and working spaces in UK higher education, including:
- the £14m Atrium transformation scheme provides an exciting new heartspace for our City Campus.
- the £11.5m project to create an innovative teaching and industrial engagement environment with new engineering labs for our STEM teaching.
- the redevelopment of the city’s Edwardian Head Post Office building to provide studio and exhibition space for art and design.
- a £30m award winning development for the Sheffield Institute of Education which sets the bar for flexible teaching and informal learning spaces.
- the £15m Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre (AWRC) is a global centre of excellence for thinking and practice in developing healthy lifestyles and longer, healthier lives.
We are now well advanced plans for further investment in campus transformation which will be Net Zero Carbon ready and provide the next level of innovative and flexible working, learning and engagement spaces for our University community.
The pandemic has enabled us to rethink the way the University campus works for its students and staff. We are now drawing together our technology strategy and our estates strategy into a single practical vision for what we call the ‘extended campus’ in which we fuse our thinking about the digital and the physical to rethink learning and working.
Our campus plan, our longer-term vision for our technology and systems, and our engagement of our people together crystallise our commitment to a genuinely world-leading operating environment, which is a model not only within the sector, but also beyond.